Monday, February 4, 2013

Love Your Job


Love Your Job

I have been away for a few days due to illness, but I am back now!

     Friday night, we stopped for dinner at the Five Guys in Jacksonville.  I was very impressed how much everyone there seemed to love their job. Some of them were high school students, but the majority of employees were older and working at Five Guys.  They were all happy to work at Five Guys.  More than happy, they all genuinely seemed excited to serve me my burger and fries. 
     As well, they seemed to enjoy each other.  They were laughing and joking and dancing with each other.  Yes, dancing.  It made me happy.  Here are people working at seven o'clock at night at a fast food joint and they were happy.  Slinging burgers is not the most glamorous job in the world, and heaven knows it cannot pay a whole lot, but the employees were happy.  They were choosing to be happy.
     It made me think about a world where everyone chooses to be happy at their job.  Imagine the DMV, the car wash, and municipal offices filled with people choosing to be happy at the job.  What a delightful thought.  More importantly, I wondered if my students always know that I am happy at my job.  I love my job, but do I always choose to express my happiness?  I think I could work on this. Maybe I should dance in class every once in awhile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment